Sunday, July 15, 2012

Here is a thought that I got from a book.  It's actually a book on style by Men's Health, but I think the idea can transfer to many aspects of life.

Think about viewing a picture on your computer screen.  Pick whatever attractive individual you want. What you think you are seeing is a smooth complete image.  You think you are seeing a perfect person.  This is the illusion.  Now take out a magnifying glass and look at the screen.  If you don't have one handy just trust me on this one.  All you see is a bunch of tiny pixels stacked in rows and columns.

There is no completely perfect image or completely perfect person.  More important than this, we aren't as consistent as we'd like to be.  Maybe around some people you are really pleasant and friendly, while around others you are bitter and resentful.  Maybe some days you shower up and fix your hair just as you like, but on other days you don't worry about it.  Maybe you wear nice clean clothes and shoes everyday, but figure that that will cover up your old ratty socks.  Maybe you look at yourself and just don't think that you are who you want to be or that you aren't where you want to be in life.

As individuals, we are amalgams of pixels.  We have different interests, moods, personality traits, and identifying features.  Some of these pixels are just as we would like, while some are a little out of place.  The fact that we are made out of all these little pixels is a very fortunate thing however.  Think about trying to change the entire picture (who you are) all at once from your current you into your dream self.  You'd likely have to change your wardrobe, job, disposition, home . . . let's just say lots of things all at once.  That process of self advancement or development is far too daunting, and some of us have tried that.  We've tried to reinvent ourselves in a day or a weekend, or maybe even a month.  It probably hasn't worked.

We have time.  Breath in and take a really slow exhaled breath out and relish in this.  We don't need to be pressured to be perfect today.  We just need to work on some pixels.  At first, the image probably won't look any different, but if we keep on changing pixels (just like airbrushing) the big picture will start to change.

So today, try changing a pixel.  Don't worry about all of them, don't think to yourself, well if I change that pixel I really need to change a bunch of others.  Don't intimidate yourself.  Pick a pixel and change that.  Shine your shoes. Cook a meal instead of eating out.  Call a friend or family member who maybe you haven't talked to in a while, or who you maybe had a falling out with.  Workout.  Clean your bathroom.  Treat your boss, or your co-worker, or your employee a little bit better.  Sure, even an individual pixel can be a little challenging at times, but then again, it is just one pixel, you can handle it.  Tomorrow, work on another pixel.  Before you know it, you will be more like the person you want to be.  Taking this a step further, if we as people are pixels in bigger picture communities, think about the kinds of change we can make.


So what pixels are you working on?  If brave enough, leave a comment.  Me?  I'm writing a blog.  I'm liking this pixel more all the time.

Hasta Luego,

-C

2 comments:

  1. I just read all four of your posts thus far and I'd like to say that I find them incredibly interesting and thoughtful. I look forward to your future posts.

    To be honest, I am working on too many pixels. But I'll take your advice and just work on one for now. I think I'll work on waking up earlier so I don't always skip breakfast and rush to work. Baby steps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! It's great to hear from you. I've got a few misplaced and damaged pixels too, but its good to hear you are working on one. I ate breakfast myself this morning, and that's an accomplishment for me! Hope all is well.

      Delete